Monday, September 24, 2007

ode to the perfect footwear

I've decided that Chacos are the absolute perfect footwear for South America. I bought them on a whim near the end of the summer, since I had been making money, damn it, and they were just so COOL. Well. Great idea, because these shoes do everything, including come out of a spectacular bike crash unscathed. In BaƱos I nearly died while biking in a downpour through a tunnel-- didn't know there was a drainage ditch on the edge of the road inside the tunnel, and there were no lights, and we couldn't see anything at all, and I rode my bike into aforementioned drainage ditch and went flying. As I was doing damage assessment, my friend Beth (biking behind me) started yelling at me to get out of the way, because a huge truck had just entered the tunnel, without headlights, and couldn't see me sprawled in the middle of the road. I aborted damage assessment, figuring that I'd find out soon enough whether my extremities were all functional, and hauled my bike and myself off to the side of the road, averting disaster. I was very minimally hurt (scrapes, nothing else), and it's a great story, so I think I won. I guess that the accident doesn't actually have anything to do with my footwear, except that I was shocked that they didn't even get dirty, and it was great that I was wearing sandals due to the abominable weather.

And I've gone on many an impromptu hike over uneven terrain and through waterfalls in these bad girls-- hell, even walking along Quito city streets practically requires hiking footwear, the sidewalks are so unpredictably uneven-- and they've been fab. They also look pretty freaking snazzy when clipped to the daisy chain on my Cotopaxi pack with a carabiner. Heh. Wonderful.

No comments: